NAMA 2010 Annual Meeting Highlights
Date Posted: October 28, 2010
126 milling members, associate members and invited guests of NAMA attended the Annual Meeting held at the L’Auberge Del Mar in Del Mar, California.
Following are the highlights of the meeting:
• Members paid tribute to Betsy Faga, who retired as NAMA’s president in April 2010.
Special guests included her cousins Carole and Bill Beeson and Lone and Don Beeson; Craig Hamlin, former President of ADM Milling and NAMA Honorary Member and Don Wilbur, retired from Industrial Fumigant Company and consultant to Iowa Corn Processors.
Terri Long, NAMA Director of Communications and Meetings, Messrs. Hamlin, Wilbur, and Rick L. Schwein, Sr. Vice President, Grain Millers, Inc. paid tribute to Ms. Faga.
NAMA presented Ms. Faga with a “Journey Down Memory Lane” personalized art print, a specially designed necklace and bracelet from Sarah’s Hope, and an album of tributes from members and colleagues.
ConAgra presented Ms. Faga with a seat in the Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in her name.
Mr. Schwein presented her with a “Navy Football – Retired” T-shirt.
Ms. Faga is a season ticket holder to the Navy football games.
Ms. Long presented Ms. Faga with a red hat, in the spirit of “Warning,” a poem by Jenny Joseph that was included in the program.
Go to http://www.namamillers.org/BetsyFaga.mov to view a tribute to Ms. Faga online.
• NAMA outgoing Chairman, John C. Miller, President, Chairman and CEO, Miller Milling Company, was recognized for his service, leadership and dedication.
NAMA presented Mr. Miller, a student of history who particularly enjoys reading about the Civil War, with a two-volume set entitled, “Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865” and a rare, four-volume set entitled, “Lee’s Lieutenants.”
• NAMA director Paul Maass, President, Commercial Foods, ConAgra Foods, was elected Chairman for the 2010-2012 term.
• NAMA director Greg Schlafer, Vice President, General Manager, Bakery, Restaurant and Milling, General Mills, Inc. was elected Vice Chairman for the 2010-2012 term.
• NAMA Board members George Allard, Bunge North America; Karl J. Gerrand, Viterra, Inc., John Gillcrist, Bartlett Milling Company; and C.B. Knappen III, Knappen Milling Company were elected to the Executive Committee.
Their term is 2010-2013.
They join current Executive Committee members: NAMA Chairman Paul Maass, ConAgra Foods; Vice Chairman Greg Schlafer, General Mills, Inc.; Dan Dye, Horizon Milling LLC/Cargill; Mark Kolkhorst, ADM Milling Company; Charles B. Stout, Milner Milling, Inc. and John C. Miller, Miller Milling Company.
• Guy R. Shoemaker, retired from Horizon Milling LLC/Cargill and Betsy Faga, retired from NAMA, were elected Honorary Members.
• Executive committee members Breck Barton, Cereal Food Processors, Inc.; Lynn Rundle, 21st Century Processing; and Stephen H. Wickes, Agricor, Inc. were recognized for their service on the committee from 2007-2010.
• Robert J. Giguere, President, Iowa Corn Processors, was elected Corn Division Chair.
• The following outgoing committee chairs were recognized for their service during John Miller’s term as NAMA Chairman, 2008-2010:
• The following staff members were appointed as non-elected officers of the association: Mary K. Waters, President; James A. Bair, Vice President; and Terri Long, Secretary and Treasurer.
• The FY2011 budget was approved.
• The 2010 Annual Report was distributed.
• Committee reports were distributed.
• The Oat Division held a separate session to discuss mycotoxins in Canada with Gordon Harrison, President, Canadian National Millers Association.
• The International Trade Committee met with Rick Leach, President and CEO, World Food Program, USA.
• NAMA's Associate Members were recognized for sponsoring the networking breakfast and lunch for members.
• NAMA renewed its commitment to fund the Grain Foods Foundation and the Wheat Foods Council.
• NAMA committed new funding to join the Partnership for Food Safety Education and to pursue setting up an instructor for grain milling science at Kansas State University.
Speaker Presentations Available Online
The 2010 Annual Meeting speaker presentations are available to members on NAMA's website.
Go to the Membership section at http://www.namamillers.org/mbr_main.cfm and enter you Member log in information.
The General Session started off with remarks from NAMA’s Chairman, John Miller followed by remarks from Robb MacKie, President and CEO of the American Bakers Association and Dana Peterson, CEO of the National Association of Wheat Growers, who emphasized the importance of NAMA, ABA and NAWG working together.
• This Time It’s Your Crisis, John Weber, President, Dezenhall Resources, Ltd.*
• The Future of Sustainability, Roger McElrath, Manager, Advisory Services, Business for Social Responsibility
• The Midterm Elections, Thad Kousser, Associate Professor, Dept. of Political Science, University of California, San Diego
• Nutrition Policy – It’s not a Spectators Sport, Beth Johnson, Principal, Food Directions LLC
2010-2011 Board of Directors Seated
The following members were seated as the 2010-2011 Board of Directors:
• George Allard, Bunge Milling, Inc.
• Todd Attkisson, Ashland Milling Company
• Breck Barton, Cereal Food Processors, Inc.
• Frank Brown, Jr., F.M. Brown’s Sons, Inc.
• John A. Didion, Didion Milling, Inc.
• Brian K. Doyle, King Milling Company
• Robert Drum, Midstate Mills, Inc.
• Dan Dye, Horizon Milling LLC/Cargill
• Bert Farrish, LifeLine Foods, LLC
• Dan Fetherston, SEMO Milling LLC
• William L. Ford, Shawnee Milling Company
• Karl J. Gerrand, Viterra, Inc.
• Robert J. Giguere, Iowa Corn Processors
• John Gillcrist, Bartlett Milling Company
• John Griffith, American Italian Pasta Company
• Vernon D. Grizzard, Jr., Southeastern Mills, Inc.
• Craig Hagood, House-Autry Mills, Inc.
• Robert Y. Harper, Hopkinsville Milling Company
• Howdy S. Holmes, “JIFFY” Mixes
• Isaac Jacques, C-Shore International Milling
• Charles H. Keynes, Keynes Bros., Inc.
• Kim A. King, Lakeside Mills, Inc.
• C. B. Knappen III, Knappen Milling Company
• Mark Kolkhorst, ADM Milling Company
• Arthur Loeffler, Star of the West Milling Company
• Tommy Lynn, C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc.
• Paul Maass, ConAgra Mills
• Luke Marano Sr., Minot Milling Company
• Donald L. Mennel, The Mennel Milling Company
• James M. Meyer, Italgrani U.S.A., Inc.
• John C. Miller, Miller Milling Company
• Samuel H. Rogers III, Wilkins-Rogers, Inc.
• A. Bruce Roskens, PepsiCo/Quaker Oats
• Bernard J. Rothwell III, Bay State Milling Company
• Greg Schlafer, General Mills, Inc.
• Rick L. Schwein, Grain Millers, Inc.
• Richard C. Siemer, Siemer Milling Company
• Douglas E. Snavely, Snavely’s Mills, Inc.
• Charles B. Stout, Pendleton Flour Mills, LLC
• J. Vance Taylor, North Dakota Mill & Elevator
• Greg Viers, Barilla America, Inc.
• Dan Ward, La Crosse Milling Company
• Stephen H. Wickes, Agricor, Inc.
Winners of the Golf Tournament
First Place Foursome – 9 under for a total score of 63
• Dan Ward, La Crosse Milling Company
• Mark Ramsland, General Mills, Inc.
• Gordon Harrison, Canadian National Millers Association
• Steve Eilertson, Grain Millers, Inc.
Closest to the Pin on Hole # 17 – Mark Kolkhorst, ADM Milling Company
Longest Drive on Hole # 7 – Tom Rogers, Wilkins-Rogers, Inc.
* John Weber’s presentation, This Time It’s Your Crisis, is not available for distribution.
For more information, call 202-484-2200, ext. 11.